Pages

Saturday 27 February 2016

School Swimming Sports by Alex

Swimming Sports 2016
One evening recently, during our great, hot summer, I went down to the pools for the Hunterville Swimming sports… I walked in and put my bag by a championship seat.

Before we started we did our whanau chants. After the chants we sat down, while championships sat at their own seats. The senior championship swimmers were Lucy M, Haana K, Tineisha M, Emma H, Latisha R, Ethan W, George L, George S, Orlando R, and I…

First the juniors swam, so all of us Championships had to wait… The junior relay was the last width event, which Totara won. Then the lanes went in and it was time for The Championships to swim. Our first event was 50 yards freestyle. I stood on the block, the clappers went, and I dived in and swam my hardest. I came last but I was one of the youngest swimmers there.

The next event was 50 yards backstroke, again I came last, but I did my best. The next event was 100 freestyle, I lost by quite a bit but I was waiting for breaststroke.

Now for breaststroke. The clappers went then I dived in and avoided gliding, because, well, I don't glide, and finally… I won by half a length.  In butterfly I came fourth, and in the medley I came fourth too, which I was very pleased about.  

In the whanau relay, our group Totara came second, and overall Totara came 1st for the whole swimming sports. The winning senior boy was Ethan Watson, who features below in the breaststroke race.

It was a great day for swimming, the weather was neat, and I really enjoyed the competition.
By Alex L  Year 7

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex. I like the way you have written totally from your own point of view. Your paragraphing is much improved too, with main ideas and supporting sentences.
    How great that you won your favourite event!
    Mrs Dalley

    ReplyDelete