Pages

Monday 29 February 2016

Surfcasting at the Mole by Harry C

Surfcasting at Castlecliff Mole

On one sunny evening dad and I were going out to the mole but we needed to pick up my Uncle Alex. This took a while because we couldn't find Kowhai Street, after we came off the right road but went the wrong way.  But eventually we found him.

When we arrived at the mole we saw that there were lots of people there.  Dad said, “We'll start down here, the mole should  empty later on.”  We had a look at the water and saw a thick stream of fish which dad thought were tiny herrings.

We got a couple of small bites but didn't hook any. And just as I snapped my line pulling it in dad said that we should move up to the end of the mole. I had just asked dad to get a picture of me and my fish if I caught anything. He told me to go and grab his phone out of the jeep.

Just as I had left I heard Alex calling me back because I had a fish on my rod. I sprinted back to my rod and the fish was nearly in, but the other hook on my line got caught on a rock. Alex had to go and grab my kahawai and got soaked! It was a massive fish!  I turned around and saw mum, grandma and Sophie looking at us. Mum took a picture of me with my fish.
NZ Kahawai


The action was slow after that but Alex got a shark about half an hour later. It was only about 20 centimetres long but it was a greedy fellow for its size. But following this the occasional big one nibbled the hook, but it only bit once and then a few minutes later it would bite again.

Late at night, around about 10:35pm, dad got a massive bite on his big Kahawai fillet.  He said that it was a stingray but it stuck itself to the bottom and wouldn't come off.  Alex and I helped dad as much as we could but the line gave way so we finally packed up and went home to bed.

I still wonder if that same stingray is still there with the line still stuck in its mouth.

By Harry C

No comments:

Post a Comment